Put fire safety first

Local firefighters stress the importance of taking extra care in the kitchen


Make text smaller Make text larger



Photos



  • "A big thank you to the Matamoras Fire Department!" says DVES. Pictured: Firefighter Mario D’Ambrosio shows Olivia Pitrelli and Connor Stewart an infrared heat detector. (Photo by Peg Snure)




  • Bill Koferl, president of the Westfall Volunteer Fire Department, and Mrs. Peters' Family and Consumer Science (FACS) class during a recent fire safety lesson (Photo provided)




  • DVES students Lydia Boronow and Nicole Helt get a tour of a fire truck (Photo by Peg Snure)




  • Bill Koferl, president of the Westfall Volunteer Fire Department, speaks to Mrs. Peters' Family and Consumer Science (FACS) class at DVHS (Photo provided)




MATAMORAS — Students at Delaware Valley Elementary School and Delaware Valley High School recently learned some critical life-saving lessons that will serve them well throughout their lives.

During Fire Safety Week (Oct. 8-14), firefighters from the Matamoras firehouse came to DVES with its largest rig and rescue truck. They told students about the importance of smoke alarms and putting together a family plan in case of an emergency at home.

The firefighters asked students if their families had fire extinguishers, and if they were located in their kitchens. Students next saw a firefighter in full uniform, heard the sounds firefighters' equipment makes so that they will not afraid in case of an actual emergency.

The students received stickers and coloring books.

At Delaware Valley High School, the Intermediate Foods A students learned some very crucial kitchen safety tips when Bill Koferl, president of the Westfall Volunteer Fire Department, donated his time to Mrs. Peters' Family and Consumer Science (FACS) class to emphasize the importance of safety when working in the kitchen environment. Mr. Koferl discussed how to safely extinguish a kitchen fire, what basic kitchen ingredients can help extinguish a flame, and what not to do when it comes to kitchen grease fires.






Make text smaller Make text larger

Comments

Pool Rules



MUST READ NEWS

Girls Run the World
More than 900 people turned out for Girls World Expo Sunday October 20th at the Palacio Catering Center in Goshen. Activities for girls 11-18 included archery and self-defense...
Read more »
Image

Dispositions in Pike County Court
Pike County District Attorney Raymond J. Tonkin announced that the following criminal sentences were issued on Oct. 18 by Pike County Court of Common Pleas President Judge Gregory...
Read more »
Image

Gov. Wolf signs Timothy J. Piazza Antihazing Law
Governor Tom Wolf on Oct. 19 signed the Timothy J. Piazza Antihazing Law, which strengthens penalties for hazing and ensures that schools have safeguards to protect students.
Read more »
Image

Keep your pets safe this Halloween
Veterinarians are warning pet owners about the potential dangers looming during Halloween season.
The most common health hazard is the ingestion of candy. Candy containing...

Read more »
Image

VIDEOS



Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required
Community Newspapers



MOST READ

Local News
Keep your pets safe this Halloween
  • Oct 22, 2018
Local News
Girls Run the World
  • Oct 22, 2018

MOST COMMENTED



Weather in Milford, PA