NJ man arrested for assaulting couple at gunpoint in the park

Kittatinny Point. Rangers say the boyfriend fought off the attacker while his girlfriend gained possession of the weapon and ran for help.

03 Sep 2019 | 05:44

A New Jersey man was arrested for allegedly assaulting a couple at gunpoint in the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area.

Shortly after 5 p.m., on Monday, Sept. 2, officers from the Hackettstown, N.J., Police Department stopped the suspect’s vehicle on Route 46 in Independence Township and arrested the driver, Jeffrey Mulcahy of Wayne, N.J., on multiple charges. He also faces federal charges because the alleged assault occurred in a national park.

Scuffle on the riverbank

At approximately 4:25 p.m. on Monday, the National Park Service (NPS) Emergency Communications Center in Bushkill received a call from the Monroe County Control Center about an incident at Kittatinny Point, within the park's boundaries.

A woman reported that she and her boyfriend were threatened and assaulted at gunpoint along the riverbank near Kittatinny Point on the New Jersey side of the park. NPS Rangers and the New Jersey State Police responded to the scene.

The boyfriend fought off the attacker, according to rangers. He provided officers with a description of the vehicle that the alleged attacker was driving when he fled, including his direction of travel and the vehicle's license plate number.

The woman gained possession of the gun when it fell on the ground during the scuffle. She took the weapon with her as she ran to get help. The weapon was later turned over to park rangers and identified as an air pellet gun.

Neither of the victims sustained serious injuries, according to rangers. Both declined medical treatment at the scene. Following Mulcahy's arrest, custody was transferred to NPS Park Rangers. Federal felony charges are pending following consultation with the Assistant United States Attorney's office and an appearance in federal court in Trenton, N.J., on Sept. 4.

Mulcahy is being held in the Pike County Correctional Facility at this time. The case remains under investigation.