Blaze guts sporting goods store

| 29 Sep 2011 | 09:35

Two apartment dwellers homeless MILFORD - A Monday evening fire seriously damaged a Milford Township sporting goods store and put two residents of an upstairs apartment out of their home. Milford firefighters responded to a 7:55 p.m. alarm of a working structure fire at Action Outfitters, at 578 U.S. Route 6/209 on Monday evening. Firefighters and equipment from Matamoras, Westfall and Dingman Township were also sent to the initial call. Milford Fire Chief Tony Mann said two unidentified residents of the apartment were already out of the two-story, frame building when firefighters arrived. As the “mop-up” continued, Mann said no injuries to residents or firefighters had been reported. Mann said firefighters brought the flames under control within 15 to 20 minutes of their arrival. The fire, which remained of undetermined origin Monday evening, began downstairs. “It started in the commercial area. We don’t know just where yet, “ he said. Pennsylvania State Police Fire Marshals were later called to make a determination of the cause of the fire. Firefighters’ spot lights revealed the store’s gutted interior behind several broken windows and charred frames on the front corner. Mann said upstairs damages were smoke and heat-related. No water was used in the living area. Shohola, Hemlock Farms and Montague, N.J. firefighters and equipment also assisted at the scene and other units were called to standby. Delaware Township and Greenville, N.Y. firefighters were on hand at the Milford fire station. All told, about 100 firefighters were on hand at the scene.