Warming centers available for 1,400 Milford customers affected by natural gas outage

Milford. UGI announced a natural gas outage affecting 1,400 homes and businesses in Milford early Thursday morning -- when temperatures were in the single digits. Warming centers are available.

| 27 Jan 2022 | 11:42

Temperatures were in the single digits this morning when UGI announced that it is experiencing a customer outage in Milford, affecting 1,400 customers.

UGI needs to turn off the natural gas at every single home in order to restore the service. If a home does not have an outdoor meter or service valve and the homeowner is not present to grant UGI entry, UGI personnel will be assisted by fire, police and other emergency personnel to enter the home.

After natural gas is restored, UGI then needs to enter all homes turn on the service and re-light appliances. Under no circumstances should a customer attempt to turn their natural gas service back on their own.

According to the utility company’s press release, “UGI natural gas service customers in the Milford area who are affected by this outage do not need to call UGI to report an outage. However, customers who smell gas should immediately call UGI at 1-800-276-2722.”
Once natural gas service is restored, UGI will need to enter all homes affected to turn on natural gas service and re-light appliances.

Warming centers available

Warming stations with food, restrooms, and books are available at the following Area Agency on Aging Senior Centers. The centers are open to all ages:

• Blooming Grove Center: 150 Pike County Boulevard, in Lords Valley. Open 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

• Lackawaxen-Shohola Center: Beisel Beck Road & Route 590, in Lackawaxen. Open 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m..

WiFi is available at the Blooming Grove Center. Call the Area Agency on Aging at 570-775-5550 for more information.

Use supplemental heat sources with caution

• Do not use an open oven or grill inside your home to provide heat.

• Use caution when using unvented space heaters, which can be a source of carbon monoxide. Always follow manufacturer’s directions regarding the use of these heaters.

• Be sure to provide adequate ventilation in areas where a space heater is used. Do not use unvented heaters in bedrooms, bathrooms, or confined spaces.

Editor’s Note: UGI’s initial press release — and an earlier version of this story — said approximately 2,400 customers were affected by this outage. Soon after, UGI confirmed that the number in its press release was incorrect, and should have been 1,400. This story has been updated to reflect the accurate estimate.